No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
We believe this statement said by Aesop more than 2,000 years ago still holds true today, and Be Kind to Humankind Week is the perfect opportunity to let kindness win the day. This week-long global observance occurs every August 25-31 and was established by the Be Kind to Humankind (BK2HK) community that formed in 1988. Even if the celebration is new to you, we hope you truly embrace it!
The week itself is broken down by day (we’ll start with August 25) with individual themes that encourage a certain call-to-action. Let’s take a look at them, along with suggestions for each:Speak Kind Words Saturday
– Say something nice. Here are some ways to do so:
Sacrifice our Wants for Others’ Needs Sunday
- Commit to positivity on social media.
- THINK before you speak: Is it true, helpful, inspiring, necessary, kind?
- Teach your children to speak kindly to others by example.
- Avoid complaining or gossiping to others.
– Show them you care. Here are some ways to do so:
Motorist Consideration Monday
- Prepare a meal for a friend or neighbor who is sick.
- Volunteer at a community organization that needs help.
- Visit an elderly relative, whether they’re in a nursing home or still living at home.
- Take an elderly family member or neighbor to a doctor’s appointment.
– Drive courteously. Here are some ways to do so:
- Let another driver into your lane ahead of you in heavier traffic.
- Don’t drive aggressively by tailgating other vehicles.
- Let a pedestrian pass in a parking lot before you continue driving.
- Never text while driving.
– Spread kindness, one heart at a time. Here are some ways to do so:
- Spend the day or afternoon with your children doing something they enjoy.
- Offer to babysit for a couple with young kids so they can have a date night.
- Send an encouraging card to someone who is struggling.
- Say “I love you” to those you love.
– Offer a helping hand. Here are some ways to do so:
- Get groceries for someone who can’t go grocery shopping.
- Offer to watch a neighbor family’s pet or water their flowers if they’re going on a trip.
- Help a friend move or even pack for the move.
- Give a co-worker a ride to work if his/her car is being serviced.
– Treat others well. Here are some ways to do so:
Forgive Your Foe Friday
- Open the door for someone.
- Write a co-worker an encouraging note.
- Write positive affirmations in chalk in a public park.
- Take someone to lunch and pay for their meal.
– Come together. Here are some ways to do so:
- Be the first to move toward reconciliation.
- Put yourself in the other person’s shoes.
- Seek wise counsel for dealing with difficult situations with others.
- Find quiet time daily to acknowledge negative emotions and release them in a healthy way.
If you want to incorporate a promotional item into your efforts, you could hand out EOS™ Lip Balm with a kind message, either imprinted on the front under your logo or included on a separate note. This fantastic item is on sale this month (25% off), and it’s an extremely practical option that will make others think of your kindness every time they apply it to their lips.
Whatever your fancy, be sure to spread kindness every day, and especially during Be Kind to Humankind Week in August!